Most cities in the world have a skyline comprising a large number of tall buildings, especially in a commercial area. Not only are these buildings constructed at a height, they also need to be maintained at the same level. Cleaning windows or fixing broken panes require workers to be way above the ground level. About a third of workplace accidents are caused when working at height. Not only is it life-threatening to the workers, the company and the people nearby also face the consequences. Being alert and active and using scaffolding solutions can help in avoiding the unwanted mishaps. Here are some situations you should be aware of:
Top considerations while working at a height
- Falls are caused when there are stability issues. Most upper-level jobs are done with the help of scaffolding in West Sussex. People who settle for cheap alternatives to save money end up suffering. Flimsy structures are often the first red flag. To avoid any such situations, always rent it from trusted companies and schedule routine inspections. Keep your scaffolding well maintained to ensure smooth workflow.
- Check for any potential falls in the begginning. Precaution is better than cure. Uneven surfaces and unfinished construction often come in the way of the construction workers. Trips and falls are common in a construction site full of raw material. Keeping the walking ways clear and adding protection where a potential fall might happen is the least you can do.
- Humans have always been at the mercy of nature. Rains, storms or a snowfall also cause a lot of mishaps at a higher level. Extra precaution should be taken on these days. You might want to cancel the day if too much risk is involved.
- The people in the neighbourhood or passers-by are often met by accidents when people work at height. There is a high risk of objects falling from the height and injuring people below. Adding a safety net with the scaffolding works wonders for this problem. It can be installed easily and makes the site a lot safer.
- A scaffold used in construction projects needs to be examined at the start of the project and then at an interval of 7 days till the time it is in use. As the scaffolding is kept exposed to external factors that might deteriorate it such as adverse weather conditions then it must be inspected regularly and even after substantial alteration.