Posts Tagged ‘Scaffolding Crawley’
Everyone from the construction industry will agree to the fact that it is one of the most hazardous sectors. Neglecting their safety can turn out to be deadly for the workers. A majority of the deaths in the construction sites were due to falls, electrocution, struck by an object, and caught between/ in. Since every worker has the right to work in a secured workplace, erecting scaffolding has almost become mandatory.
Irrespective of the reason for which you are erecting the structure, you need to involve several trained individuals for specific tasks. So before you start looking for a reliable company offering scaffolding in Horsham, getting acquainted with the role of the trained individual involved is highly recommended.
Role And Responsibility Of A Competent Person
The basic task of a competent person is to identify whether there are any hazards (existing or predictable) in the surroundings which can turn out to be dangerous or unsanitary for the employees. They also have the authority to make prompt actions so that those hazards can be eliminated. Other competent people having years of industry presence can offer them training. The trainers should have adequate knowledge about the structure, skill set, and experience in providing training. Few of the responsibilities of a competent person are as follows,
- Design and pre-plan the weight limitations, scaffold type, tie-offs, fall protection, and supports of the structure.
- Oversee how the structure is being erected.
- Inspect the structure before scaffolders start working on it.
- Inspect and document its condition on a regular basis.
- Inspect the structure after it has undergone some alterations or changes.
- Supervise and inspect mobile scaffolds.
- Train scaffold erectors and another competent person.
Role And Responsibility Of A Scaffold Erector
They are designated by the scaffolding company in Horsham to shoulder the responsibility of erecting and maintaining a scaffold. The type of structure they can erect is generally dependent on their training and experience. It is your responsibility to ensure that the scaffold erector shouldering the task of erecting the structure in your property is authorised. Though they can ask for materials and components from others standing on the ground, the ultimate task of adding or subtracting those is their responsibility. They need to undergo refresher training at frequent intervals to keep themselves updated about the latest development in the industry. Few responsibilities of a scaffold erector are as follows,
- Erect the structure abiding the local, state, and federal law.
- Erect it under the guidance of a competent person.
- Inspect and ensure the safety of each component before adding them to the structure.
- Maintain fall protection requirements while working.
- Erect a structure which is free from any preventable hazards.
- Ensure stability of the structure by using adequate anchorage.
- Maintain adequate distance between the structure and any electrical hazard.
- Inform the competent person that the structure has been erected and ready to be inspected before a scaffold user starts working on it.
- Offer training to other erector or scaffold users if required.
- Coordinate with the competent person to solve any issue that might arise when the structure is being erected.
Role And Responsibility Of A Scaffold User
The primary job of a scaffold user is to work on a temporary elevated platform (scaffold) in the construction site. They should undergo training so that they can recognise any hazard that might occur while working on the scaffold. They need to ensure that the structure they are working on is safe and protect themselves from any electrical hazard or falling object. They need to stay aware of the carrying capacity of the structure they are working on. They undergo refresher training after every 5 years to keep themselves updated about the industry. Few other responsibilities undertaken by a scaffold user are as follows.
- Examine the scaffold tag to ensure that the structure is safe enough to work.
- Can get in touch with a competent person to discuss any safety concern related to the maintenance, erection, and conditions of the structure.
- Notify the competent person if any safety issue arises.
- Follow all state, federal, manufacturer, institutional, and local rules and regulations while using the structure.
- Use adequate and proper fall protection equipment.
Now that you are aware of the role of each trained individual working on a scaffold, it’s time you start looking for a company offering the structure on hire and make the most out of it.
Whether you are a building contractor looking for increased productivity or a homeowner wanting to stay in safe hands during DIY – hiring the right scaffolding at the best price is the key. Scaffolding is a provisional structure consisting of tube frames and metal pipes used for construction purposes. Most construction companies use this structure to ensure utmost safety to the labourers as well as maximum efficiency during different construction jobs. Since the prime motive of hiring such a business is safety, you should never choose the first one that you find while coming across on the Internet.
Tips to save money on scaffolding hiring
Here are 5 useful tips on hiring the best scaffolding service for less in your locality. Scaffolding Crawley would be a good option for the individuals as well as the builders based in Crawley and its surrounding.
Hire a company having public liability insurance– To minimise the cost of hiring a scaffolding service, you must hire a firm with valid public liability as well as other required insurance. Public liability insurance provides coverage to a construction firm up to £10 million, if an accident takes place. If you choose a firm without this kind of insurance, you are very likely to be left out of pocket. If you are a homeowner, home insurance policy may be claimed in case of an accident while as a builder you should have bought other insurance coverage too! Hire scaffolding from a company whose staffs are properly insured.
Gather quotes from different companies– Scaffolding works can be quoted off the plan. But it might break your bank if you order too little or too much for the job you want to be done. By selecting a company offering free quotes, you can safeguard yourself against losing money. For instance, if you order too little, your job might take longer than what it should take otherwise while ordering too much denotes just throwing money away.
Choose a firm that promises on-site visit– There might be some projects that are not possible to be quoted from your plans while for homeowners, there is hardly any plan. Whether yours is a small or complicated job, choose the right firm that offer free on-site visit. A trained staff should visit your site and talk to you regarding your requirements. This would help you stay protected against pitfalls and avoid ordering incorrect quantity of scaffolding.
Ask about a short minimum period of hiring– In most cases, builders and homeowners lose money for long minimum period of hiring. Short minimum hiring periods of about 2 weeks would help you save money. So choose one with shorter minimum period of hiring to have a control over cash flow.
Ask about ‘out of hours’ charges– Reputed scaffolding companies understand that it is not possible always to work from 9 to 5. So select a firm that lends scaffolding out of standard business hours without charging any extra cost. Both builders and homeowners may require installation to be done outside of typical business hours to fit in around their individual schedules.
These tips would help anyone find the right scaffolding service at the right price without being shortchanged.